Prep time: 15 minutes + 30 minutes to chill
Baking time: 18-22 minutes
Yields: 12 scones
Orange Cranberry Scones are perfect for your holiday baking list.Enjoy with a cup of coffee.
2 c. all-purpose flour + ¼ c. for work surface
3 t. baking powder
½ c. granulated sugar
¼ t. salt
½ c. cold unsalted butter
½ c. heavy cream
¼ c. sour cream
1 large egg
1 t. vanilla extract
¼ t. orange extract
1 t. orange zest, preferably organic
1 c. craisins
2/3 c. powdered sugar
1-2 T. fresh orange juice
- Line a large, rimmed baking parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside.
- Mix two cups flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut in butter with fork until butter is in pea-sized pieces.
- In a separate bowl, combine the heavy cream, sour cream, egg, vanilla extract, orange extract, and orange zest. Whisk to combine.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined. Add in the craisins and stir until just mixed.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of flour onto a clean work surface. Transfer scone batter onto floured surface and lightly knead into a ball. Press the dough down into a ½” high rectangle (approximately 6” x 10”). Cut in half lengthwise, and then each half into 3 rectangles. Then, cut each rectangle diagonally to create triangle-shaped pieces.
- Transfer the scones to the prepared baking sheet, leaving 1-2” between them. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before baking.
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F, then add the baking sheet to oven when ready. Bake the scones for 18-22 minutes, or until they are nicely golden brown and cooked through. Remove from oven and cool for 5-10 minutes.
- While the scones are cooling, prepare the orange glaze by stirring the powdered sugar and orange juice together in a small bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Serve the scones warm drizzled with some of the orange glaze on top. Enjoy!