Tip: For best results, sprinkle salt and black pepper under the skin prior to stuffing with the lemon, rosemary, and garlic.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45-50 minutes*
*Cook meat to temperature, not by time. Actual cooking time will vary based on a number of factors, including internal starting temperature, individual oven variations, size and thickness of the meat, what else is in the oven while cooking, etc…
The minimum safe recommended cooking temperature for bone-in chicken is 165°F (74°C). Check for doneness (at least 160°F as temperature will rise several degrees as the meat rests) with an instant-read thermometer after 35-40 minutes and adjust final cook time accordingly.
2 large lemons, preferably organic
4-5 large sprigs rosemary, divided
1 (4-5 lbs.) whole fryer chicken, cut into parts (bone in, skin on)
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
3-4 large garlic cloves, finely minced
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and line a large rimmed baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper or a Silpat™ baking sheet. Set aside.
- Thinly slice both lemons, then cut the slices from one lemon into quarters. Break 2 of the rosemary sprigs into small pieces. Set aside.
- Arrange the chicken on the prepared baking sheet without overcrowding. Use a sharp knife to gently lift the skin and sprinkle the meat with salt and black pepper, as desired.
- Create a pocket under the skin with the knife and insert the quartered lemon slices, minced garlic, and the small pieces of rosemary inside. Drizzle the olive oil onto the chicken skin and coat the entire surface with a pastry brush. Sprinkle with additional salt and black pepper, as desired.
- Scatter the whole lemon slices and rosemary sprigs onto the baking sheet and place into the pre-heated oven. Roast for 40-45 minutes, or until the chicken reaches 160°F on an instant-read thermometer and is nicely browned on top.
- Remove from oven and brush the pan juices over the chicken with a clean pastry brush. Cover loosely with foil and rest for 5 minutes. Remove cover and brush pan juices over the chicken again. Discard rosemary sprigs and lemon slices before serving with your choice of sides. Enjoy!