This homemade strawberry shortcake with homemade shortcakes is one of a kind with its flaky buttermilk biscuits, strawberries, and homemade whipping cream. There is nothing quite like homemade strawberry shortcake in the summertime made with simple buttermilk shortbread biscuits piled high with strawberries and topped with delicious whipping cream.
I remember making this delicious dessert with my grandma growing up falling in love with the flaky shortbread biscuits. I have since loved making this dessert time and time again and sharing it with friends and family. I love how easy it is to make a summertime treat loved by everyone who tries it.
HOW DO YOU STORE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE?
Strawberry shortcake is served fresh. I do not recommend storing it assembled unless you have to. You can store strawberry shortcake in the fridge if you must, but the whipping cream will start to melt, the cake will soak it in, and it will not taste as fresh and delicious as you were hoping.
CAN I MAKE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE AHEAD OF TIME?
You can make strawberry shortcakes ahead of time, I recommend it! To do this, you will want to make your shortcake biscuits and let them cool. Then store them in an airtight container (for up to 2-3 days) or on the counter at room temperature. If your house is humid, you might want to store it in the fridge. If you’re going to make a big batch of shortbread biscuits, you can freeze the leftovers. You can prep your strawberries ahead of time. I suggest it ,so that the sugar soaks into the berries to help pull out the natural sugars as well.
If I know we are having strawberry shortcakes; I will cut my strawberries and add my sugar in the morning and cover and place in the fridge. If you don’t have that much prep time, let them soak for at least 30 minutes. You will want to make your whipping cream right before serving your strawberry shortcake, do not make this ahead of time, it will become runny.
HOW DO YOU KEEP STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE FROM GETTING SOGGY?
A question I get a lot is how do you keep your strawberry shortcake from getting soggy. Maybe you are serving it to a crowd or at a party and want everyone to eat together? So the secret to this is to freeze your shortbread biscuits after you have sliced them. Then when you are ready to serve your shortcake, pull your biscuits out of the freezer, build your strawberry shortcakes (while the biscuits thaw) and then serve all at once. This will prevent soggy bread because liquids and sauces are slower to soak into frozen food.
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 15-20 min
- 1 pound (16 ounces) strawberries
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Two tablespoons baking powder
- One teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (1 + ½ sticks) unsalted butter, icy, cut into small pieces
- One cup buttermilk plus more for brushing biscuits
- Coarse sugar for sprinkling on shortcakes
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Two tablespoons granulated sugar
- One teaspoon clear vanilla extract
Clean and slice strawberries and add to a large bowl.Sprinkle with sugar Cover and place in the refrigerator
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat
- In a food processor, add flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. If you don’t have a food processor, you can use a pastry cutter or forks fit cut in the butter to the flour mixture.
- Pulse until well combined
- Add butter and mix until butter is combined and the mixture is coarse
- Pour milk on top of the flour mixture and mix just until the dough begins to form a ball
- Remove dough onto a lightly floured surface
- Form dough into a large disk
- Roll dough out slowly until about 1 inch thick
- Use a floured biscuit cutter to cut circles
- Gently brush with extra heavy cream or buttermilk
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar
- Place close together on prepared baking sheet
Mix cold heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer fitted with a whisk until stiff peaks form, about 10 minutes Slice biscuits in half.Add whipping cream to the bottom of the biscuit Then add strawberries and the top biscuit. Add more whipping cream and strawberries.
For my American Monkey Bread recipe with Strawberries click here.Hi I'm glad your here! I love to cook, bake and try new recipes. I enjoy food photography and reviewing products. Hope you enjoy my recipes, thanks for visiting! Sheila