Are you looking for a dessert that will literally melt in your mouth? These Cherry Pie Bars are calling your name. The best part about them is that they’re crazy easy to make. And once you make them once, you’re going to be craving them until the next time you whip them up.
These Cherry Pie Bars are literally amazing. They have such a light and fresh taste that scream breakfast, or dessert. Because honestly…who says you shouldn’t have your sweet treats bright and early in the morning? Sitting down with a cup of coffee and a cherry bar sounds like the best start to the morning for sure.
Can you use fresh cherries for this recipe?
You can but the cherry pie filling is what really makes this treat stand out. It has an added sweetness to it and a thickness that makes these bars creamy and tasty.
If you do use fresh cherries, take out the pits first and come back and tell me how it works. I’m curious to know if there will be a lot of excess cherry juice that comes out when cooked or not! (and if it works, we can add it as a fun modification option for this Cherry Bar recipe!)
What happens if my dough is sticky?
This might happen with the dough so just be careful and put a bit of flour on your fingers while you’re spreading it out on the bottom of the pan. You’re going to want to stretch out the dough to cover the entire pan so you’re not going to want the dough to be sticky, if at all possible.
A little bit of flour on your fingertips, or even some oil, should do the trip in making certain that the dough doesn’t stick to you at all.
Ready to make this simple Cherry Bar recipe? I can’t wait to hear what you think!
How to Make Homemade Cherry Pie Bars
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 (21 ounce can cherry pie filling (regular or extra cherry variety)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8×8 inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and salt; set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, vanilla extract, and almond extract and beat until well combined.
4. Add the flour mixture and mix just until combined.
5. Scoop 1 ½ cups of the dough mixture into the prepared pan and press down to form the bottom crust. Spread the pie filling over the crust. Dollop the remaining dough all over the top of the pie filling.
6. Bake the cherry bars at 350F for 30-35 minutes until set and beginning to turn golden brown around the edges.
7. Cool the cherry bars in the pan until room temperature. Combine the powdered sugar and milk to make the glaze and drizzle over the cooled cherry bars. Cut into 9 squares to serve.
Makes 9 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 30 minutes