Sheila’s Loaded Stuffed Baked Potatoes is a simple recipe,,loaded with cheddar jack cheese, bacon, sour cream and chives. Before baking, I drizzle or brush my potatoes with extra virgin olive oil. You can substitute sharp cheddar, or your favorite cheese for this recipe. Greek yogurt can be used instead of sour cream. I prefer light sour cream. Hope your enjoy these simple loaded baked potatoes.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 75-80 minutes
4 large Idaho baking potatoes, washed and patted dry
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 T. coarse sea salt
¾ c. Cheddar Jack* cheese, shredded, divided
6 strips bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled, divided
3 T. fresh chives, finely chopped
½ c. Greek yogurt or sour cream, optional
*If not available, use equal amounts of shredded sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack (or similar) cheese
- Place top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 400°F. Place a wire rack on top of a large, rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat™ baking sheet. Set aside.
- Place the potatoes on the wire rack and drizzle each potato with a little olive oil. Spread the oil with your hands until each potato is thoroughly coated. Pierce each potato with a fork several times to vent and sprinkle with the coarse sea salt.
- Place the potatoes in the pre-heated oven for 60 minutes, or until they are fork tender. Remove from oven and let cool for several minutes.
- Once cool enough to handle, cut an oval-shaped opening into the top of each potato. Carefully remove the skin inside the opening and scoop out the baked flesh inside with a spoon. Do not cut all the way through the potato. Transfer the baked potato flesh you remove to a medium bowl.
- Add ½ cup cheese and 2/3 of the bacon to the same bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
- Divide the mixture equally between the four potatoes and place back into the still-hot oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is nicely melted.
- Remove from oven and divide the remaining cheese and bacon between the four potatoes. Sprinkle with fresh chives and serve immediately with some Greek yogurt or sour cream, if desired. Enjoy!