There is nothing better to me than chocolate. I love chocolate cake, it is my favorite dessert. This cake is decadent and definitely a crowd pleaser. Hope you will try this recipe.
Time-Saving Tip: Make the cakes the night before serving and cover the baking pans with foil or plastic wrap once cool to the touch. Cakes will be ready to frost the next day.
Prep time: 20 minutes + 20-25 minutes for cakes to cool before frosting
Baking time: 22-28 minutes
Yields 12 servings
1 c. unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
2½ c. granulated sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
2 t. real vanilla extract
3 c. all-purpose flour
2 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
½ t. salt
1 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
2¼ c. boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.Grease and flour 3 8” round cake pans, then line bottom with round parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl. Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until well blended.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix the cocoa powder and boiling water in a medium bowl until well combined and no lumps remain.
- Alternating between the two, slowly add dry ingredients and chocolate mixture to the bowl with the butter and sugar. Mix on low speed to incorporate ingredients.
- Divide the cake batter evenly between the three cake pans and place in the pre-heated oven. Bake 22-28 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool for approximately 10 minutes before transferring the cakes from the pans to a wire rack to cool completely, approximately 10-15 more minutes. (Cakes should no longer be warm to the touch before frosting).
- To assemble the cake, place the first layer top-side down on a cake plate. Add 1/3 of the frosting to the top of the cake layer and spread it out evenly. Take the second layer and level off the rounded top with a knife or cake leveler. Place the second layer on top of the first layer, top-side down. Add frosting to this layer and spread out evenly. Repeat this with the 3rd layer, and spread the remaining frosting out on the top layer. Slice and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Hi I'm glad your here! I love to cook, bake and try new recipes. I enjoy food photography and reviewing products. Hope you enjoy my recipes, thanks for visiting! Sheila